Elevator Duty


Funny story. Well maybe.  Remember that episode of Grey's Anatomy where the elevator got stuck half way when the power went out and George had to operate on the patient inside the elevator?!!!
That didn't happen today because the surgery center is on the first floor.  But... the elevator has been funky at work so we've been going old school and one of the techs or staff will be the operator for the day.  Today, is my day.  My boss pretty much said, "you can take your phone in there and play games." Hey, can't complain with that. 

I'm not one for phone games so I missed the boat on that.  Since elevators get such great reception it'll probably be 2016 before I download Blades of Brim.  I learned a little Spanish and then thought about maybe looking up a few jokes to tell patients.  Then the "no network connection" box pops up.  Great.  Can't get worse right? Except when the door didn't open ... 0.0 

Well I'm also not the best with small spaces, constant motion or bad smells.  All included in my 5x10 temporary office today.  So here I am blogging about it.  If I had to choose what to not love today, those ^^ would be it. It may seem like I'm not loving this Thursday but i really do. Like really! 

For starters MJ slept through the night which means we slept through the night. Got up worked out and left a little early to fill the car up and return my library books.  Traffic was nice and I got everything checked off my list this morning and was five minutes early to work! 
Boo yah! 

Back to the elevator, it's been an hour and thirty minutes and despite the windowless box, I wouldn't mind helping people on and off the lift everyday.  To be honest it reminds me of being a missionary in the market trying to place a Book of Mormon in 30 seconds.  We have two options on our lift 1 and 2.  That gives me about 3 seconds to explain why I'm here and tell them something to make them smile.  Totally like a missionary.  Just trade my name tag for my missionary tag.  Just kidding Elder Anderson, I wasn't really going to wear it.  

I started laughing with people why I'm NOT here. Like 'I'm hiding from my boss' or 'We are going retro and bringing the operator back into style.'  There's the "elevator express" (hand motions included), "going up?" Get it?! Because there's only two floors. Haha my favorite is telling the little ones "they put me in here for time out" or "I'm suppose to watch for you, so you only press one button". 

I probably will be full of more lame jokes by 5 pm but I think the crazy is starting to kick in.  Cross your fingers for me so I don't get stuck in here with no hope of the elevator doors opening.  

P.s. This kid just asked me "are you going to be on your phone all day?" Haha yes kid, as long as I'm this elevator then yes or until my battery dies.  

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts