Christmas Joys
Hello Family!
I love this time of year. For all the reason already known to most.
Number one: Christmas music
Regardless how many times a song plays on the radio, we can't help but bust out our opera voices and Mariah Carey like high notes. I also get a lot of nostalgia for Thailand. One of my greatest memories was Christmas on my mission. I was in the Chiang Mai Zone at the time and we were all in the chapel being uplifted by President and Sister Senior; followed by caroling to Christmas hymns in a circle (like Whoville whos'). Christmas music really does help Ethan and I remember the Savior and his pure love!
I love this time of year. For all the reason already known to most.
Number one: Christmas music
Regardless how many times a song plays on the radio, we can't help but bust out our opera voices and Mariah Carey like high notes. I also get a lot of nostalgia for Thailand. One of my greatest memories was Christmas on my mission. I was in the Chiang Mai Zone at the time and we were all in the chapel being uplifted by President and Sister Senior; followed by caroling to Christmas hymns in a circle (like Whoville whos'). Christmas music really does help Ethan and I remember the Savior and his pure love!
Current favorite version of Mary did you know by the Pentatonix
Number two: Lights
Going to temple square has been one of my favorite things to do every year. Since we are further away we are relying on our bite size Christmas tree. It doesn't seem like much, but I love it! A few weeks ago we made Christmas ornaments at a Relief Society activity. At the top of our tree is my favorite that says, "Celebrate Christ". It's simple and today in church we were taught a comparison of Christmas lights to the Light of Christ.
Plus who doesn't like a cup of hot chocolate snuggled in jammys and staring at pretty lights!? Mary-Jane can't get enough!
Plus who doesn't like a cup of hot chocolate snuggled in jammys and staring at pretty lights!? Mary-Jane can't get enough!
Number three: Family
Really this should be number one. Ethan and I hope our families know how much we love and miss them. It's been the biggest blessing having the Hirschi family close by! My parents are coming Christmas day and I'm SO excited!!! They keep asking me what I want for Christmas and not to sound cheesy but 'all I want for Christmas is them!' Before we moved we were asked countless times if we would miss home. Our response was that we would but we probably won't know how much until we got here to Kansas. I'm just excited to go out, watch TV, eat at new places and do the same things we would do if we were in Provo but with them but actually have them HERE! Christmas countdown has a whole new meaning!
I also SUPER love that Ethan can enjoy Christmas break without any torts, property or criminal law homework. I joke that it's going to be nice being married again but Ethan has been so good at balancing family, school and other responsibilities. I had such a blast seeing him and his mom over Thanksgiving just laughing and having fun doing the simple things!
W.E. L.O.V.E F.A.M.I.L.Y!
Number four: Socks
Last year I made a special post about how much I love warm Christmas socks. Sadly I can't link you there because I might have left it behind on my other blog :'( My awesome co-workers, got me cute birthday gifts and among them were socks! I never used to like socks. Ask my mom! I would cry when I had to put them on before my sneakers. These days, I sometimes have to sneak Ethan's or he will offer because his husband radar is on fleek. ;) A few years ago, my mom and dad got me a red pair of socks with the little rubber grippy things on the bottom and those bad boys never leave my feet at home (depending on the weather they go out with me on occasion).
Number five: TREATS
There's a reason why I started working out at the beginning of the month. Whatever calories I burned in the hour, were made up in cookie, chocolate, baked goods heaven! I've never had so many different yummy things. New favorite: Baklava
16 ounces phyllo dough
1 pound chopped nuts (I think walnuts are the best)
1 cup butter
1 teaspoon ground cinnamons
1 cup water
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup honey
1) Preheat the oven 350 degrees first and butter a 9 x 13 inch pan.
2) Mix the nuts and cinnamon in a bowl and put it aside.
3) Unroll the dough and fit into the pan how you'd like. Butter the dough until you have a few layers ready.
4) Sprinkle the nuts with cinnamon mixture on top, layer with dough and repeat a few times. The top layer should have 5-6 sheets or more if you like.
5) Cut the pieces into squares or diamond rows. Bake for 45 minutes until the top layer is golden
For Sauce
1) Boil sugar and water until dissolved. Add the vanilla and honey and leave on low for 10-15 minutes.
2) Pour over the baklava right after it comes out of the oven and let it cool.
Number six: Crafts
You can never have to many. Have you seen the kinds of things on pinterest?! These are centerpieces for our ward Christmas party.
Most of all ...
He is the Reason for this Season


Comments
Post a Comment