Driving 101
This week I've gone back to the basics and learned the importance of reading! The streets of Topeka are lovely and it seems fairly simple to get around town. I have to admit though, that I've gotten lost over 10 times and on my way to the hospital (while job hunting), I drove the wrong direction on a one-way street. oops! Luckily all the cars were on the other side and I made it to the parking lot.
Speaking of the library, it is my all-time favorite place to explore. It's not huge but it's so clean and well-organized that I just like going inside to see the rows of books. I started a new book called Murder in Chinatown. I'm not too far into it but it made me laugh a little and maybe that's because I'm Asian. I also really like the self checkout system. I know that is a common things in libraries but still so cool to me.
We also learned that we've been saying the name of our town wrong this whole time! During the first few minutes of Ethan's class, they had them introduce themselves and did the whole 'get to know you' first day routine. Ethan was talking with a few classmates who asked about the long drive from Utah. He told them we were so excited to see the sign for Topeka (pronouncing it toe-peek-a). Ethan's classmate shook his head, says "dude you got to stop saying that. It's Topeka (Tah-peek-a) and if you keep saying it like that people are going to look at you funny." We've been practicing how to pronounce it the right way.
Our newest goals for the rest of the year, is to stick to the missionary sleep schedule. We are in bed by 10pm and try to fall asleep by 10:30pm. Then we get up at 6:30am and do the morning routine. So far ... still good. Some mornings Ethan lets me sleep in for 20 minutes; those are my favorite days. I don't even have to pretend to be sick. haha. The drive to his school is about 10 minutes. Usually we go down 17th street but we discovered 21st street which is wider and has less holes. I also appreciate that there isn't a school zone that you slow down for going 40 miles per hour just before it. Maybe it's because we didn't live next to any elementary school in Utah but I've never seen so many different speed limit changes in one street. Topeka is just keeping me on my toes.
I'll be driving on the freeway today and hopefully finding the right destination so that the sister missionaries can teach their investigator. (Freeway driving is quite my forte ... so it's kind of a big deal ha).
Pictures are coming next time!
Speaking of the library, it is my all-time favorite place to explore. It's not huge but it's so clean and well-organized that I just like going inside to see the rows of books. I started a new book called Murder in Chinatown. I'm not too far into it but it made me laugh a little and maybe that's because I'm Asian. I also really like the self checkout system. I know that is a common things in libraries but still so cool to me.
We also learned that we've been saying the name of our town wrong this whole time! During the first few minutes of Ethan's class, they had them introduce themselves and did the whole 'get to know you' first day routine. Ethan was talking with a few classmates who asked about the long drive from Utah. He told them we were so excited to see the sign for Topeka (pronouncing it toe-peek-a). Ethan's classmate shook his head, says "dude you got to stop saying that. It's Topeka (Tah-peek-a) and if you keep saying it like that people are going to look at you funny." We've been practicing how to pronounce it the right way.
Our newest goals for the rest of the year, is to stick to the missionary sleep schedule. We are in bed by 10pm and try to fall asleep by 10:30pm. Then we get up at 6:30am and do the morning routine. So far ... still good. Some mornings Ethan lets me sleep in for 20 minutes; those are my favorite days. I don't even have to pretend to be sick. haha. The drive to his school is about 10 minutes. Usually we go down 17th street but we discovered 21st street which is wider and has less holes. I also appreciate that there isn't a school zone that you slow down for going 40 miles per hour just before it. Maybe it's because we didn't live next to any elementary school in Utah but I've never seen so many different speed limit changes in one street. Topeka is just keeping me on my toes.
I'll be driving on the freeway today and hopefully finding the right destination so that the sister missionaries can teach their investigator. (Freeway driving is quite my forte ... so it's kind of a big deal ha).
Pictures are coming next time!
Comments
Post a Comment