Live Each Day Intentionally
Amanda, my super good friend from Kansas posted two words the other day, "Be Intentional". I really loved that because every now and then it just feels like: work, eat, sleep and repeat. My intentional goals were to live simple and full of the gospel.
Yesterday morning (10/25/17) I went to LDS.org and the first story for the day was a talk by Elder Bednar, A Christlike Character. I got so excited reading the first paragraph because another talk (The Character of Christ) also given by him was such a game changer for my mission and how I see other people and what Charity REALLY is. I definitely should go re-read the talk because initially I was so excited about it that maybe I was focused too much on mission memories than the message in front of me.
Highlights from the talk:
Perhaps the greatest indicator of character is the capacity to recognize and appropriately respond to other people who are experiencing the very challenge or adversity that is most immediately and forcefully pressing upon us. Character is revealed, for example, in the power to discern the suffering of other people when we ourselves are suffering; in the ability to detect the hunger of others when we are hungry; and in the power to reach out and extend compassion for the spiritual agony of others when we are in the midst of our own spiritual distress. Thus, character is demonstrated by looking and reaching outward when the natural and instinctive response is to be self-absorbed and turn inward. If such a capacity is indeed the ultimate criterion of moral character, then the Savior of the world is the perfect example of such a consistent and charitable character.
I am guilty of thinking about me first all the time. The other night, E had been at work from 8-5 then went straight to do church responsibilities from 5-9 p.m. L.O.N.G. day! We had planned that morning, literally minutes after waking up to do something after he got home. I have been craving a pretzel for the last two days. [I'm trying not to give into my every craving but this seemed like a good excuse]. All day we had been talking about getting out treat and hanging out.
Jump back to the night before, I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't fall back asleep. For some reason waking up for those three minutes totally made me feel like a zombie that hadn't slept in a week. Basically, it messed up my whole system. I = no energy.
Moving forward to when E got home from his long long day. I was barely awake at 9:13 p.m. He quickly got changed and asked me if I was still interested in going out.
The charitable person in me would have recognized that he had been working all day. No breaks, needing a fun little adventure before another whole day at work tomorrow.
Instead, I told him I was so tired and was pretty ready for bed. SMH
We can in mortality seek to be blessed with and develop essential elements of a Christlike character. Indeed, it is possible for us as mortals to strive in righteousness to receive the spiritual gifts associated with the capacity to reach outward and appropriately respond to other people who are experiencing the very challenge or adversity that is most immediately and forcefully pressing upon us. We cannot obtain such a capacity through sheer willpower or personal determination. Rather, we are dependent upon and in need of “the merits, and mercy, and grace of the Holy Messiah” (2 Nephi 2:8). But “line upon line, precept upon precept” (2 Nephi 28:30) and “in [the] process of time” (Moses 7:21), we are enabled to reach outward when the natural tendency is for us to turn inward.
I hope to be immediately aware of others around me. Especially in my own home. I can be better, I ought to be. I love this talk and the one given years ago that I heard in the MTC. I read it every year when I feel a need to refresh my memory.
In other events, ward trunk or treat was so fun! I love our ward and how actively everyone participates. This week just flew right by me so I didn't plan my costume but my smarty pants husband recommended wearing my old work scrubs which ended up working out perfectly.
It's really been a banner day. E and I got our budget updated and things again fell into place and we are seriously so blessed.
Things to do
- Calendar
- The books are still waiting
- Birthday cards for Cole and Sara :)
- Make the plan and then decide
Yesterday morning (10/25/17) I went to LDS.org and the first story for the day was a talk by Elder Bednar, A Christlike Character. I got so excited reading the first paragraph because another talk (The Character of Christ) also given by him was such a game changer for my mission and how I see other people and what Charity REALLY is. I definitely should go re-read the talk because initially I was so excited about it that maybe I was focused too much on mission memories than the message in front of me.
Highlights from the talk:
Perhaps the greatest indicator of character is the capacity to recognize and appropriately respond to other people who are experiencing the very challenge or adversity that is most immediately and forcefully pressing upon us. Character is revealed, for example, in the power to discern the suffering of other people when we ourselves are suffering; in the ability to detect the hunger of others when we are hungry; and in the power to reach out and extend compassion for the spiritual agony of others when we are in the midst of our own spiritual distress. Thus, character is demonstrated by looking and reaching outward when the natural and instinctive response is to be self-absorbed and turn inward. If such a capacity is indeed the ultimate criterion of moral character, then the Savior of the world is the perfect example of such a consistent and charitable character.
I am guilty of thinking about me first all the time. The other night, E had been at work from 8-5 then went straight to do church responsibilities from 5-9 p.m. L.O.N.G. day! We had planned that morning, literally minutes after waking up to do something after he got home. I have been craving a pretzel for the last two days. [I'm trying not to give into my every craving but this seemed like a good excuse]. All day we had been talking about getting out treat and hanging out.
Jump back to the night before, I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't fall back asleep. For some reason waking up for those three minutes totally made me feel like a zombie that hadn't slept in a week. Basically, it messed up my whole system. I = no energy.
Moving forward to when E got home from his long long day. I was barely awake at 9:13 p.m. He quickly got changed and asked me if I was still interested in going out.
The charitable person in me would have recognized that he had been working all day. No breaks, needing a fun little adventure before another whole day at work tomorrow.
Instead, I told him I was so tired and was pretty ready for bed. SMH
We can in mortality seek to be blessed with and develop essential elements of a Christlike character. Indeed, it is possible for us as mortals to strive in righteousness to receive the spiritual gifts associated with the capacity to reach outward and appropriately respond to other people who are experiencing the very challenge or adversity that is most immediately and forcefully pressing upon us. We cannot obtain such a capacity through sheer willpower or personal determination. Rather, we are dependent upon and in need of “the merits, and mercy, and grace of the Holy Messiah” (2 Nephi 2:8). But “line upon line, precept upon precept” (2 Nephi 28:30) and “in [the] process of time” (Moses 7:21), we are enabled to reach outward when the natural tendency is for us to turn inward.
I hope to be immediately aware of others around me. Especially in my own home. I can be better, I ought to be. I love this talk and the one given years ago that I heard in the MTC. I read it every year when I feel a need to refresh my memory.
In other events, ward trunk or treat was so fun! I love our ward and how actively everyone participates. This week just flew right by me so I didn't plan my costume but my smarty pants husband recommended wearing my old work scrubs which ended up working out perfectly.
It's really been a banner day. E and I got our budget updated and things again fell into place and we are seriously so blessed.
Things to do
- Calendar
- The books are still waiting
- Birthday cards for Cole and Sara :)
- Make the plan and then decide
Comments
Post a Comment